Thursday, November 26, 2009

Memories... from my mother...

 The following is a Thanksgiving memory of my mothers... it made me cry... dang it and I said I wasn't going to cry today... Love you mom...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have many Thanksgiving memories. They begin as a little girl and the thrill of going to my Grandma's and Grandpa's for our Holiday celebration. My Grandparents lived on a farm, and that is the reason why I farm today. It was the only place where I felt completely safe, our home life was less than ideal, so when my Mom and I got in the car to go to Grandma's house it was cause for rejoicing. We always sang on those trips, just her and I, "Over the River and Through the Woods to Grandmothers House We GO", and also our favorite hymns. When we started, Momma was crying, but by the time we got to our destination, she would be smiling. I never knew till I got older just how hard life was for her and on her, it was a definite sacrifice of praise on her behalf. Then we would walk up the sidewalk to the back porch, Pansy the border collie, and Lady the white American Eskimo would be there to greet us. To open the door to the kitchen, and all those wonderful aroma's and Grandma, in her apron, so glad to see us, is a memory that still gives me comfort to this day. Momma would begin to help Grandma, and I would go find Grandpa, he usually was in the Living Room, either reading a hunting and fishing magazine, or working on his coin collection. I liked to help him with the coins, and then read the stories, OF how I was attacked by a Grizzly Bear and Survived!! I got caught up in the drama of it all. Then my mom's younger sister, my Aunt Linda and her husband Uncle Larry would come and I was always thrilled to see them. We would set down at the dinning room table, in the dinning room, we always had the same places and I always set by Grandpa, he took care of me. The table would be crowded with such good food, most of it raised on the farm. Grandpa would say the Blessing and then we would eat, talk, fellowship, most usually there would be duck, because Grandma raised duck, only if Grandpa won a turkey in a turkey shoot, would we have turkey, then there would be mashed potato's,dressing with half oysters and half plain,homemade noodles, that my Mom and Aunt still make to this day, There would be corn and green beans, and carrot or cranberry salad, brown and serve rolls, and pumpkin and pecan pie. Then everyone rested in the afternoon, or at least pretended to, I had to get outside and see the animals. Then there was evening chores, a supper of leftovers and then it was time to go home. I never wanted to go home, it would be dark, and I would lay down on Momma's lap and she would tell me stories. I am so very Thankful for those memories, I hope in Heaven somewhere, there is a little farm, and my grandparents are there waiting. But till then, I am thankful for my family and friends that make life joyful and a farm I that I have walked, loved and tried to replicate the love and safety I knew as a child. Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!


Love Kim

5 comments:

  1. Love you to, sweetheart. Whatever happens and there as already been plenty. My best memories have been since you were born,besides Our heavenly Father, on June 11,1976 you stole my heart and I have never gotten over it. When I am thankful, your at the top of my list. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. dang it, Sara, she got me crying, too. Farm or new farm or no farm at all - you are blessed with the things that are truly important in this life: you have family that loves you just like Our Father loves us. What more can we ask for?

    Hope you had a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man. I can't see the screen. A flood of thoughts and emotions are invoked. It sounded almost like my childhood going to my grandmother's house. And then to read your mom's comment above. The first I heard your farm was under attack (Nov 1?), it tore at my heart. Still does, fiercely. I love what your mom said in her comment. I do think that heaven, being beyond what we can imagine, will have something like that and then some. HOw else could it be? Just think, God's love is way beyond what we can conjure up and sometimes we do pretty good. Thank you so much for sharing this. Take care, love you guys! Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto mummers...

    gaga... You are so right...

    jenn... and to think my dearest mother didn't think it was that emotional. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading this Sara! My prayers continue daily for you and your family!
    With love from the Cabin,
    Claudia O.

    ReplyDelete