Monday, September 22, 2014

There is a Difference...

A few days ago I share a status on Facebook. It had to deal with how God does not punish his children but rather disciplines us. 

Well this caused a comment to come about telling me there is not difference between Punishment and Discipline. And that I needed to read Proverbs 17.

I did read Proverbs 17 and also looked up the definitions of punishment and discipline. Well there IS a difference. EVEN in the bible it's not the same!!! If you look up punishment and then look up discipline the chapter and verses never are the same.

Also when looking  it up in the bible punishment is handed down by God mostly to nations or groups of people, where as discipline is for the Lords willing children. Maybe I'm all wet, I'm sure I am as I've always have been. However words and there meanings are important. If they meant the same thing why would we have two words with the same meanings?

In all honesty it hurt when I got the alert to the comment. Seeing as the same people want me punished by God and have told me time and again I will be. And YET they love me, worry about me, I don't understand nor do I try anymore. I can't live to please people and their opinion of the bible, I will answer to God in the end not anyone else.

Full Definition of PUNISHMENT

1
:  the act of punishing
2
a :  suffering, pain, or loss that serves as retribution
b :  a penalty inflicted on an offender through judicial procedure
3
:  severe, rough, or disastrous treatment

Examples of PUNISHMENT

  1. I took away my daughter's car keys as a punishment for her bad behavior.
  2. The punishments that the government has inflicted on the protesters are severe and unjust.
  3. The punishment for murder is life imprisonment.
  4. Some religions teach that wicked people will suffer eternal punishment in hell after they die.

Full Definition of DISCIPLINE

1
2
obsolete :  instruction
3
:  a field of study
4
:  training that corrects, molds, or perfects the mental faculties or moral character
5
a :  control gained by enforcing obedience or order
b :  orderly or prescribed conduct or pattern of behavior
c :  self-control
6
:  a rule or system of rules governing conduct or activity
dis·ci·plin·al adjective

Examples of DISCIPLINE

  1. The teacher has a hard time maintaining discipline in the classroom.
  2. The troops were praised for their dedication and discipline.
  3. Some parents feel that the school's principal has been too harsh in meting out discipline.
  4. Keeping a journal is a good discipline for a writer.
  5. Sir Robert Peel is credited with creating the first modern police force, the bobbies, in London, in 1829, but the transformation of law enforcement, and especially forensic science, into a professional discipline was a haphazard affair. —Jeffrey Toobin, New Yorker, 7 May 2007   

No comments:

Post a Comment