Friday, January 30, 2015

The final countdown...

 Silly me... I thought there were only 5 stages of Grief. HA Nope there are 7. I seem to be stuck on 3 and 4 with a slight edging towards 5. There hasn't been a day yet that I havn't cried over Sochi Bear... It's getting less, but the thought of someone renaming MY baby just hurts, which leads to making me angry and in turn I get depressed and cry.

In all honesty I need to wrap my head around it and try and control myself better. I keep having to bottle it up and it literately is making my heart hurt. Or maybe it's just the muscles in my chest... seeing as my whole body it tight and tense from the cold and walking on ice and trying to fall.

Letting Sochi go has been the hardest thing I've done. And it's hurt me more and effected me more than any other dog I've ever had. In all honesty I can't ever see myself owning any breed other than a Newfie. Before letting Beary go all puppies where cute, loved all dogs the same... Hey a dogs love is LOVE no matter the breed or mixed muttyness of them. Now when I look at pictures and dream any other breed is oh that's cute but not for me... Trust me, I've always wanted several different breeds... Not anymore. 

I wonder if in dog lovers there is always that ONE breed that is ment for YOU. 

Where ever you might be Sochi Bear I LOVE YOU! You will always have a special place in my heart. 

Back to Stages 1 & 2

Here is the grief model we call the 7 Stages of Grief:
  1. SHOCK & DENIAL-
    You will probably react to learning of the loss with numbed disbelief. You may deny the reality of the loss at some level, in order to avoid the pain. Shock provides emotional protection from being overwhelmed all at once. This may last for weeks.
  2. PAIN & GUILT-
    As the shock wears off, it is replaced with the suffering of unbelievable pain. Although excruciating and almost unbearable, it is important that you experience the pain fully, and not hide it, avoid it or escape from it with alcohol or drugs.

    You may have guilty feelings or remorse over things you did or didn't do with your loved one. Life feels chaotic and scary during this phase.
  3. ANGER & BARGAINING-
    Frustration gives way to anger, and you may lash out and lay unwarranted blame for the death on someone else. Please try to control this, as permanent damage to your relationships may result. This is a time for the release of bottled up emotion.

    You may rail against fate, questioning "Why me?" You may also try to bargain in vain with the powers that be for a way out of your despair ("I will never drink again if you just bring him back")
  4. "DEPRESSION", REFLECTION, LONELINESS-
    Just when your friends may think you should be getting on with your life, a long period of sad reflection will likely overtake you. This is a normal stage of grief, so do not be "talked out of it" by well-meaning outsiders. Encouragement from others is not helpful to you during this stage of grieving.

    During this time, you finally realize the true magnitude of your loss, and it depresses you. You may isolate yourself on purpose, reflect on things you did with your lost one, and focus on memories of the past. You may sense feelings of emptiness or despair.

    More 7 stages of grief...
  5. THE UPWARD TURN-
    As you start to adjust to life without your dear one, your life becomes a little calmer and more organized. Your physical symptoms lessen, and your "depression" begins to lift slightly.
  6. RECONSTRUCTION & WORKING THROUGH-
    As you become more functional, your mind starts working again, and you will find yourself seeking realistic solutions to problems posed by life without your loved one. You will start to work on practical and financial problems and reconstructing yourself and your life without him or her.
  7. ACCEPTANCE & HOPE-
    During this, the last of the seven stages in this grief model, you learn to accept and deal with the reality of your situation. Acceptance does not necessarily mean instant happiness. Given the pain and turmoil you have experienced, you can never return to the carefree, untroubled YOU that existed before this tragedy. But you will find a way forward.

    You will start to look forward and actually plan things for the future. Eventually, you will be able to think about your lost loved one without pain; sadness, yes, but the wrenching pain will be gone. You will once again anticipate some good times to come, and yes, even find joy again in the experience of living.

    You have made it through the 7 stages of grief.

No comments:

Post a Comment